Mainline-Plus Kernel (tracking linus/master)
See the branches which are based on the mainline linus/master kernel. We create a new branch and merge as soon as Linus publishes a new release candidate (typically once per week on average). The "master" branch is currently 3.12.7 but work in progress is 3.18-rc1 and as soon as our rolling kernel is feature complete (i.e. nothing important is completely missing) we will also update the master branch to follow major Linux releases (e.g. 3.19.0).
supported devices (through different device trees)
- BeagleBoard C, BeagleBoard XM
- BeagleBoard (C/XM) with Openmoko Beagle Hybrid expansion board
- GTA04A3, GTA04A4, GTA04A5 (Letux 2804)
- GTA04b2 (Letux 3704)
- GTA04b3 (Letux 7004)
- planned: GTA04b7 (Neo900)
- PandaBoard ES
- OMAP5432EVM + Pyra development boards
- follows the latest kernel releases and includes security patches
- based on the latest www.kernel.org (release candidates)
- adds the latest Linux features
- add to support the GTA04 devices what is not (yet) in mainline ("plus")
- provide drivers for as many hardware features as possible in a clean way
- can be used in daily life
- our patches are pushed to go upstream so that the 'plus' part gets smaller and smaller step by step
Features / Maturity
basically everything can be supported (and was in the past before we transitioned to the Device Tree). Therefore the most feature-complete version is still the "master" branch (3.12.7).
The branches tracking linus/master currently don't support well (please refer to [issues][Issues]):
- WiFi power management
- Microphone Sense
- 3D Accelerator (PVR/SGX)
it works on the BeagleBoard XM with OpenMoko-BeagleHybrid display expander. It does not boot on the OMAP3530 BeagleBoard C.
it appears that everything works (incl. audio)
there is some problem with an EHCI error (for the unconnected HSIC interface) and panel drivers are work in progress. Otherwise it works.
Please download, test and patch the kernel. Please submit patches against the latest version (e.g. 3.18-rc3) and mail them to the gta04-owner mailing list. Thank you!
We actively work on the kernel and upstreaming patches, but this needs some funding for the developers. If you want to donate, you are welcome!
Building the kernel:
git clone http://git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git cd gta04-kernel git checkout 3.18.0 # or latest branch make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-none-linux-gnueabi- gta04_defconfig uImage LOADADDR=0x80008000 dtbs INSTALL_MOD_PATH=/tmp/kernel-modules-$$ modules modules_install cp arch/arm/boot/uImage modules arch/arm/boot/dts/omap*.dtb /mount/sdcard/boot/
(you can also use git://git.goldelico.com/gta04-kernel.git but this is a little less reliable on weak connections).
Please refer to the GTA04 Rootfs for installation instructions of a complete distribution (bootloader, kernel, rootfs, LXDE GUI).