Alternative Case Designs
The GTA04 board is designed to fit into an existing GTA01 or GTA02 case. But what do you do if you have no GTA01 or GTA02?
- 3D printable GTA04 case, which can be ordered at Shapeways – even in small quantities:
- Radek's wooden case: https://picasaweb.google.com/114961040002008630266/GTA04WoodenCase
- OpenMokast: http://openmokast.org/cad-files.html
- Neo1973 ideas: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:Neo1973:Alternate_Cases
- 3D-Printing: we suggest that someone tries to make a case with a RepRap / MakerBot.
- first 3D-printed battery cover: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-January/001171.html
- reusing the existing moulds: they have been lost somewhere in China and mechanical components are no longer available
- make new moulds: if we come beyond 5000 units in total, it appears to be possible to make new cases for approx. 20-30 EUR incl. designing new moulds (which costs >50k EUR).
3D CAD of original Neo1973 case
A new case needs some electromechanical components that are neither on the GTA04 motherboard nor in the 3D printed case:
- active GPS Antenna with 50mm U.FL cable
- GSM/UMTS antenna
- small Vibracall motor
- Earpiece speaker
- 1 or 2 Handsfree speakers
We already have identified some nice replacement parts, but not all of them.
Additionally, you will need:
- FIC HF8* or Nokia BL-6C compatible battery
- USB charger (500-1000 mA)