You are looking at an old revision of the page CaseDesign. This revision was created by Lukas M.
Table of Content
Alternative Case Designs
The GTA04 board is designed to fit into an existing GTA01 or GTA02 case. But what do you do if you have no GTA01 or GTA02?
- 3D printable GTA04 case, which can be ordered at Shapeways – even in small quantities: http://blog.slyon.de/3d-printed-gta04-case
- Radek's wooden case: https://picasaweb.google.com/114961040002008630266/GTA04WoodenCase
- OpenMokast: http://openmokast.org/cad-files.html
- Neo1973 ideas: http://wiki.openmoko.org/wiki/Hardware:Neo1973:Alternate_Cases
- 3D-Printing: we suggest that someone tries to make a case with a RepRap / MakerBot.
- first 3D-printed battery cover: http://lists.goldelico.com/pipermail/gta04-owner/2012-January/001171.html
- reusing the existing moulds: they have been lost somewhere in China and mechanical components are no longer available
- make new moulds: if we come beyond 5000 units in total, it appears to be possible to make new cases for approx. 20-30 EUR incl. designing new moulds (which costs >50k EUR).
3D CAD of original Neo1973 case
A new case needs some electromechanical components that are neither on the GTA04 motherboard nor in the 3D printed case:
- active GPS Antenna with 50mm U.FL cable
- GSM/UMTS antenna
- small Vibracall motor
- Earpiece speaker
- 1 or 2 Handsfree speakers
We already have identified some nice replacement parts, but not all of them.
Additionally, you will need:
- FIC HF8* or Nokia BL-6C compatible battery
- USB charger (500-1000 mA)