News and Announcements of the GTA04 development
Major Milestones and Announcements
21 Nov 2013
Restarted fund raising campaign for GTA04A5.
All GTA04A4 boards have finally been produced and shipped. Unfortunately no stock is left.
22 Jan 2013
Announcement of GTA04A5 and ready for preorders.
Fighting with production problems.
06 Mar 2012
30 Jan 2012
The first GTA04A4 boards are really shipping.
14 Nov 2011
10 Oct 2011
- shipment to Early Adopters started
19 Sep 2011
- production of remaining GTA04A3 units started
07 Sep 2011
- first phone calls
- USB-OTG problems solved
20 Aug 2011
- 5 boards completed with DM3730 and UMTS module and mostly working
- Presentation by Mickey Lauer at FrOSCon
25 Jul 2011
- first board completed with DM3730 and UMTS module
- CPU and some peripherals are working
- UMTS is working
16 Jun 2011
- first two GTA04A3 board received from production (complete except UMTS module)
- now fixing initialization software and testing everything
- first result: 1 board boots; 1 does not
31 May 2011
- CPU chips (DM3730CBP) arrived
20 Apr 2011
- still waiting for PCBs and CPUs to arrive for SMD production
- we have patched the GTA04A2 board so that it boots Linux (LXDE/Debian) - see Video 3
23 Mar 2011
- memory chips arrived (MT29C4G96MAZAPCJG = 512 MByte RAM, 512 MByte NAND flash)
- new PCB layout for the GTA04A3 done
25 Feb 2011
- we have discussed and shown the GTA04A2 during FOSDEM 2011
- some components for the Early Adopter units have arrived (e.g. UMTS modules); others are missing but ordered (Memory, CPU)
- we are completely reworking the layout to (fundamentally) solve the power supply issues and to reduce risk of buzz, noise and other radio interference problems
19 Jan 2011
- first engineering sample (GTA04A2) is working in PDA mode (U-Boot in NAND Flash) - see Video 1 and Video 2
- has some issues in power supply to be fixed in GTA04A3
- supply issue with PoP memory chips for OMAP3530DCBB
- GTA04A3 is getting final PCB layout fine tuning
- first components for production of GTA04A3 have already been ordered
Well, the project started in May 2008 but too many details to report.